Thursday, September 22, 2011

Hi every one,

It's been a few weeks since my last blog.  I have to apologize for that, but since then I had a couple of health trials.  I had one more hospitalization as a result of chest pain.  It turns out I was not getting enough dialysis even though I dialyse  on almost a daily basis.  But since I am on Prednisone and had been taking Cytoxan, this actually changed my blood chemistry and increased my weight.  I had to adjust my treatment time, the speed we ran the machine and also the amount of dialysate that we use.  So having said that, I think we finally have the treatment under control.

These last few weeks have been a real learning experience.  I have also learned that not every one who is in health care is in it to help patients.  So if you find yourself on the side of the patient and the people who are suppose to be taking care of you and looking out for your health are not.  Then just speak up.  As a patient you are responsible for your own health care.  Your doctor, nurse or technician can only do so much.  If you feel you are not getting the appropriate treatment or if you feel more can be done, then it is your responsibility to your self to go out there and get it.    If you feel you are not being treated with the respect or compassion you as a patient deserve, then fire those health care professionals.

 Having said that, I am currently looking to transfer home hemodialysis treatment centers.   Davita Simi Valley here we come.


Recipe for today will be our Chicken Burger Patties

Serves 4-6

Ingredients:

1 pound ground chicken
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
6 button mushrooms
1 small onion cut in 4 pieces
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp.  seasoning salt
1 tsp. Montreal steak seasoning
2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
2 tsp. fresh  thyme
2 tsp. parsley
1 egg
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In a food processor place the mushrooms, onion,  garlic cloves, oregano, thyme, parsley and chop into small pieces.  They should be small but not pure.   In a bowl add your chicken, bread crumbs, egg, seasoning salt, Montreal seasoning and your mixture from the food processor.    Mix together and form a small patty.  You might want to grill a small bite size patty to see if seasoning is right for your taste.  If seasoning is right you can start making your patties.  If you like a little more seasoning adjust and re-mix.  

You might want to refrigerate your chicken mixture for a few minutes to make it easier to handle.  Ground chicken can get a bit sticky when you work with it.   Once you can form your patties you can cook on a non stick pan.  Allow your patties to properly brown on each side and be sure to cook fully since it is poultry and you do not want to eat raw chicken.                                                              

 *  You can serve with your favorite burger toppings and burger buns.  This also goes well with pitas and your favorite Greek pita toppings.   We like tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese and yogurt sauce.

If you want the recipe for my yogurt sauce email me at alejandrvelasco@yahoo.com

2 comments: