Thursday, September 1, 2011

Hi every one,

Yesterday was my first day at the gym.  Having all the health issues that  I do,  required extra planning ahead.  Aside from packing my work out clothes and bathing suite for the swimming pool, I had to pack an extra bag with medical supplies.  I had to pack my sugar tester, insulin pen, needles, alcohol swabs and snacks.  I also took my portable oxygen tank just in case I need it.  And lastly a frozen water bottle with extra juice for low blood sugars. And off we went to the gym.

I first  tried the elliptical machine, that was tough.  I was only able to do it for 5 minutes and then I had to stop because I felt that I was going to pass out.  I took a small break and went and changed into my bathing suite.  I was so tired at that point that it felt like I ran a marathon.  But I pressed on.   I went in the pool and was able to swim 4 laps.  If you can call doggy paddling swimming.  I rested and them was able to walk/swim the pool for 8 more laps.  I might say this is quite impressive.  If you think that just 2-1/2 weeks ago I was discharged from the hospital with oxygen for home use.

I am determined to get my lungs and heart healthy again. So I will be swimming 4 days per week.  I find this is easier for my body and puts less stress on my non existing muscles.  When we came  home we grilled some delicious shrimp and vegetables.  Great way to finish the day before my daily dialysis.


Here is the recipe for grilled shrimp.

2 pounds peeled medium size shrimp.
juice of 2 lemons
1 tsp seasoning salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp dried onion flakes
1/2 tsp.  fresh ground pepper
1 tbsp olive oil.
the leaves of 3 large sprigs of fresh thyme chipped

Mix all the above ingredients and grill until shrimp are pink and cooked.

You can also use these shrimp to make tacos.  You can find the recipe for taco toppings on one of my previous blogs.   Enjoy....

No comments:

Post a Comment