Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I know we all have challenges that we have to overcome every day.  For some people it is finding the funds to meet all their financial obligations.  For others is finding the strength to get up and to to work and deal with that annoying co- worker or  boss.  And for other is just finding the will and desire to get up from bed.  For me today it was getting up from bed without feeling like my stomach was eating it's self.   But after a few minutes and giving myself a pep-talk,  I was able to get up and do some chores.  

After that I had to tackle the task of calling the hospital to make payment arrangements and negotiate my health care bills.    When you are on dialysis and have other health issues,   the bills tend to start stacking up.    But you know what the funny thing is,  I have double insurance.  I have Health Net and Medicare but still find that I owe money at the end of the month.  

I think people are having a hard time with the new Obama health care bill,  but I feel that it is important for every one to have insurance.  How we should go about that, well I think every one should be able to make that decision on their own.   The problem is that people are either not responsible or can't afford it.    Do we need medicare reform;  Yes.  Do we need people to start taking responsibility for their health; Yes.   How do we do it, we just do.     The alternative can be devastating for families.   

So today I am giving you a refreshing salad recipe. 

Grilled Chicken Salad


For marinade:

Juice of 2 lemons
1 table spoon olive oil
1 tsp. fresh thyme
1 tsp. fresh oregano
2 chopped cloves garlic
1 tsp. seasoning salt
1/2 tsp. cracked pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cumin

Mix all the ingredients above and pour over 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs.  Marinade for about an our in the refrigerator.  Grill the chicken and top your favorite salad mix.  You can add extra nutrients by adding tomatoes, cucumbers or any of  your favorite veggies.   The best salads are made with what ever ingredients taste best to you. 

Dressing:

Juice of 2 lemons
2 garlic cloves grated
2-3 table spoons olive oil
1 table spoon mayonnaise
1 table spoon grated Parmesan cheese
salt and popper to taste

Mix all the ingredients in small food processor and dress your salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment