Wednesday, September 28, 2011

oo

Hey Every One,

Last week I had a couple of problems with my dialysis, one day my pressure dropped during treatment and my oxygen saturation dropped to the point my skin started to turn blue.  Thankfully my daughters were there to respond immediately.  They tested my vitals, turned on the oxygen machine and had me lay down with my legs up.  I was able to recover and continue the treatment.  I was amazed at how fast they responded and were able to perform under pressure.  This got me thinking about what they go through and what the family of the ill person goes through.

We never think about the stress level which our husbands, mothers, daughters go through when we are ill.  And I think that medical professionals don't take the time to address this either.  I hear there might be one or two support groups out there for caner survivors and their family members.  But there really should be support groups for those who are helping a family member deal with any illness.

I for sure know that dialysis and renal disease can take a tole on the person who has it, but it also takes a tole on the family.  A lot of times the whole family had to make adjustments to their diet, life and even work schedules.  The stress level in the home can be elevated to a point where relationships can start falling apart.

How do we deal with it, well that all depends on the person.  In our family we try not to sweat the little stuff, we only sweat the big stuff.  And the trick is, there is no big stuff.  We deal with the situation and try to move on.  We try to laugh things off and enjoy every minute with each other knowing that time is precious and tomorrow is not a guaranty for any one.  And most of all, we leave it up to God knowing that it does not matter how ill you are, if it is not your time to go, its not your time to go.

So having said that, if today you run into some one who is rude to you, or just plain mean, don't get mad, don't lash back, you don't know what trials they might be going through  They might not be feeling well, or one of their loved ones might be ill, or they just might be having a bad day.


So for today I wanted to share my lean chorizo recipe.

Serves 4

Ingredients:

2 pounds lean pork.  (I had my butcher ground pork loin for me)
2 table spoons dried California chile
2 table spoons dried Chile ancho
2 tsp. garlic salt
2 garlic clove grated
2 tsp menudo mix crushed
1 tsp. cracked pepper
1/4 cup good apple cider vinegar

In a bowl mix all the above ingredients until well incorporated.  Allow to marinade at least 1 hour.  It will be better if you leave it for the next day.   When you decide to cook the chorizo you may need to use a non stick pan or add a table spoon or two of oil to the pan so it can fry properly and not stick.  Cook till crispy and serve.

Serving ideas:  Tacos with chopped cilantro and onion.  Use your favorite salsa verde and crispy potato.   You can do this by cubing the potatoes, tossing with olive oil, salt and pepper.   Lay the potatoes on one even layer on a sheet pan and bake on 350 till golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment